Follow the step by step guide to force ad replication between domain controllers in active directory.
When a change occurs on a source domain controller partners notified the change by default this interval is 15 seconds on Microsoft Windows. Additional direct replication partners are then notified at the interval of 3 seconds. Both the 15 seconds and 3 seconds notification intervals are configurable. However, if you reduce the interval to very small increments such as one-second network traffic increases and performance deteriorates. If you increase the interval to a very large interval such as one hour you increase latency and the likelihood of replication conflicts.
- Replication occurs in response to a change to an active directory object.
- Change notification process triggers replication. You can configure notification intervals.
- Security sensitive changes trigger urgent replication.
- You increase latency increases the chance of replication conflicts.
All changes are automatically reflected in all domain controller. But there is a time when you want it to immediately update on all other domain controllers. Maybe you have done significant changes and wants them to update on every controller.
Force ad Replication between domain controllers
You can use these two methods to do force replication in the domain controller.
1.Using command line tool
The command used is repadmin. Repadmin does several things. Displays the replication metadata, initiate a replication event, displays a replication status, highest update sequence no on a server and checks the replication consistency between partners. Read more about this command.
You need to install the Windows Support tools to use the command line tools to force replicate everything.
Use the command repadmin /syncall /AdeP
2.Using user interface
Follow the steps to the end
- Open Active Directory Sites and Services.
- Expand Sites and then expand the site name ( this is your site name or if not given previously then default site name) that contains the server that you want to force replication. Further, expand the server name and finally click on NTDS Settings.
- Simply Right-click on the server you want to replicate with the other servers in the site and choose to Replicate Now and it’s done.
Active Directory and Group Policy will be updated/replicated immediately to all of the other domain controllers. Just for confirmation, you can check out in other domain controllers.
That’s all for force ad replication. Feel free to comment down below in the comment section if you have doubt in any of the steps/methods we will be happy to help you.